Wednesday, 11 January 2012

SAVING MONEY: An Introduction

Hi!
I've decided to do a new feauture on Bits and Bobs, basically it's about saving money (so it's not just for students really). Basically earlier in the week Josh and I received an email about rebooking our room for our final year of uni and at a quick glance it didn't look like we'd be able to live here again. Things went from bad to worse when we tried to look at other accomodation and discovered that the majority of the other places were even more expensive. Thankfully when we got the proper figures for rebooking our room we discovered we could afford it which was such a relief however we are now going to have to watch things money wise.  Basically it's time to live like a true student and get strict with money, in an ideal world we'd both have jobs but unfortunately this doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon, when you apply for christmas temporary jobs and don't hear anything you know things aren't good! Obviously I don't want to be completely boring and having nothing to do because of this so to make it more fun I'm going to be doing posts about it so I can track my money saving progress and document 'cheap' things! So it's not going to be doom and gloom.

So far the little things I've thought of to save money are:
  • Walking instead of swimming. My monthly swimming pass costs around £25 walking is free. Enough said!
  • Josh and I go to Costa Coffee every week, in future we will only be going every other week
  • I usually buy More and Look magazines every week so in future I will only buy More magazine which is also the cheaper of the two!
  • Shop at Iceland more, we have one just around the corner from us so it's really convenient however we've got lazy an shopped at tesco express at the end of the street (which is so expensive) and Iceland is sooo much cheaper
  • Luckily I have quite a bit of christmas money so that will put me on for my shopping habits for quite a while. Once the christmas money has gone I won't be buying any clothes for a long time (obviously unless my jeans or leggings get holes in them!) and I won't be buying any beauty products for a long time either (except for essentials such as shampoo)
  • The one day a week I'm in uni over lunch I'll be taking my own food instead of buying the over priced food at uni
In my next It's Time to Live Like a True Student post I'll be covering the cheap day out options that are available.
If you have any money saving tips please feel free to leave a comment and if I get a collection of tips I'll do a post about those too!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea; looking forward to the next one! :) ♥

    Sarah ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the ideas, Lauren! I'm useless with money so will be trying out some of your tips :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I've got a few of these posts lined up so hopefully there will be some more tips on those for you as well! xx

      Delete

Thanks for your lovely comments!