Tuesday, 5 November 2013

ADVICE: Keeping an active mind whilst unemployed

Hi!
Today's post is a little bit of a different one from me. As most of you know I am currently unemployed since finishing university this year and whilst the job rejections, not hearing back from employers and trips to the job centre are difficult I've found one of the biggest things to deal with is the boredom that sometimes creeps in. Most of the time I do find things to do (with some of the advice I'll be offering in this post!) but there's other times when the day just slowly drags on and I have nothing to do. When you've been in education for the last 18 years of your life it's hard to stop and just have nothing to do. I'd class my self as a reasonably intelligent person, I got decent GCSE and A Level results and I'll be attending my graduation this month to make my upper 2:1 Journalism and English degree official. It's hard to go from that to nothing and I'm sure there's other people out there who feel the same. With this in mind I've been thinking of ways to keep my mind active whilst unemployed and I thought I would share what I've come up with.

  • As easy as it is to stay in bed until late then laze around in pj's all day, don't do it! It does nothing for your motivation. I hate sitting around in jeans and stuff but I make sure on the days I don't have anything to do that I get up early, get dressed which for me is usually in some comfortable trousers and a nice jumper, do my hair and I even put some lipstick on. Now I know that sounds a bit stupid but I don't bother with any other makeup and a nice bright lipstick instantly brightens my mood so why not do it! I feel much better for doing these things and sleep a lot better at night too so give it a go.
  • If you have a blog (which I'm assuming that a fair few of you reading this do) invest some time into it, make it look the best you can and come up with lots of new and interesting ideas for it. On the days I don't have anything to do I spend quite a lot of time thinking of new ideas, getting photo's, finding inspiration and writing up future posts. I can honestly say that during this time I'd be lost without my blog.
  • Learn something new. It doesn't have to cost a lot or anything at all but try out something that you've always wanted to learn. For me I've always enjoyed learning how to tweak my blog and make changes myself using HTML and CSS codes so I'm currently learning how to code. I might not do anything with it, I might not even understand everything but I'm giving it a go and I'm enjoying it.
  • Throw yourself into a hobby that isn't blogging, this might be something you used to love when you were younger and that you gave up on or something that you still occasionally do. Well now is the time to step it up a gear. The possibilities are endless really it could be anything from drawing, crafts, writing in a none blogging way, reading, dancing, photography, the list could go on. It also the perfect time to find a new hobby, you don't have to be great at it you just have to enjoy it and get something from it.
  • Research something. Is there something you have a particular interest in? A period in history, an artist or art movement, a place, it could be anything. Do some research on it, try and learn new things. 
  • Go for a walk. If the weather is nice don't stay cooped up all day go out for a walk, it's good for you, you'll feel refreshed and it could even spark some inspiration for a blog post, a drawing, a piece of creative writing, a photo. You never know what you might get from it.
I hope this helps a few people, I already do a couple of things on here and I've already noticed a feel much better and positive for it, I sleep better on a night and genuinely look forwards to learning new things and having things to do. If you have any tips please let me know in the comments, it's be great to share some more ideas!

P.S I now have a Facebook page for my blog, please come and give it a like here! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you - the upside to unemployment is that in-between applying for jobs there's time to do other things, too! Good luck with your job hunt! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all really good tips! It can definitely be super easy to lose motivation but it's so important not to! I love making lists, I write down all the things I'd like to accomplish that day in the morning and it's very satisfying ticking them all off one by one!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it! Thanks for all the tips :)

    xo,
    Jamie

    http://inspirationlush.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!