Monday, 23 December 2013

Christmas books for the young and the old

Hi!
I recently dug out my collection of Christmas books from when I was a child, added to this a couple of books that are classed as children's books that I've picked up in recent years and I actually have quite a nice little collection of Christmas books to maybe pass on to any children I may have in the future. I don't see anything wrong with enjoying children's books as an adult. Nearly all Christmas books released for adults are chick lit ones if you like that kind of thing fine but it just isn't for me.

I still like the magic of Christmas and I hope that is something that never goes away, obviously Christmas as an adult is so much different to Christmas as a child but the fact a still enjoy is something I want to hold on to forever. Children's Christmas books provide the magic and the sense of wonder and escape that can't be found in adult books. So with that in mind I've picked out my three favourites from my collection to go through in a little more detail.


A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - Whilst this isn't a children's book it has been turned into one by many people, the copy I have is an illustrated version by Michael Foreman that I have had since I was a child. I would however say that my version is probably for older kids as it is the complete and unabridged version. I read this book every year and I'm actually hoping that Santa will be bringing me the clothbound copy of this book this year!





Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien - Again this is another book I've had since I was a child. In at are letters that Tolkien's children received every year from Father Christmas with notes from a polar bear and an elf too! I can only imagine how excited Tolkien's children would have been to receive one of these hand written letters from Santa each year. As a child it is wonderful to read and believe that Santa wrote those letters. As an adult it is equally as wonderful to read and marvel at Tolkien's creativity and devotion to his children in writing those letters to make Christmas even more special for them.


Nut Cracker told by David Walser illustrated by Jan Pienknowskie - For this I am talking about this specific version of Nut Cracker illustrated by Jan Pienknowskie because it has to be the most beautiful version of the book in existence! I was actually given this as a gift a few Christmas' ago and it never fails to impress me.






 I thought I'd give you a little look inside these books too so you get a bit of an idea as to just how nice they are.
































Top row - A Christmas Carol / Middle row - Letters from Father Christmas / Bottom row - Nut Cracker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!