Sunday, 1 December 2013

RECIPE: Parkin

Hi!
There's is something so nice about a kitchen filled with the scents of baking but when those mouth-watering smells contain hints of ginger it just becomes even more warming and homely. A true smell of winter! If there's one recipe that's made for cold days spent indoors in comfy clothing it's parkin and if there is one thing us Yorkshire folk know how to make it's definitely parkin! Josh has taken this on as his signature recipe now he's made that much of it already this year so I decided I wanted in on the action of parkin baking. This recipe is a bit less fancy and more thrown together then other parkin recipes, but it works, it's super quick and it tastes amazing. Despite my best efforts to persuade Josh we should make it with black treacle, he wasn't having any of it so this recipe uses golden syrup. I personally prefer black treacle parkin but Josh prefers golden syrup parkin so use which ever you like (but we all know black treacle is better!)
Oh and FYI I thought there was no greater taste on the planet then raw cake mix, how wrong I was. Parkin mix is bloody amazing! And this parkin recipe is eggless (not that eating raw egg in cake mix has ever stopped me before).

 I would have quite happily eaten it raw!

Ingredients (in cups - sorry but it's the only recipe I have)

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
11/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
140g butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ginger 
3/4 tin of golden syrup or black treacle
1 cup of boiling water

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180c / 350f
  2. Put the flour, sugar, oatmeal, butter, baking powder, ginger and syrup/treacle in a mix bowl then pour the boiling water over and mix until all the ingredients are combined
  3. Pour the mixture onto a greased baking tray and place in the oven for around an half an hour until it is golden brown on top.
  4. Cut into slices and leave to cool. In an air tight container parkin will last quite a while although I'm sure it won't be around for long!
 Let me know if you'll be giving this quick and easy parkin recipe a go.

1 comment:

Thanks for your lovely comments!