Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Book Review: One Day

Hi!
Today I'll be reviewing One Day, this has been sat on my bookcase for quite a while. I bought it when the film came out (which I've never seen but I want to now!) and then kind of forgot about it. To be honest I didn't think it would be my kind of thing. I do like a good love story but not in the chick-lit sense. Anyway I figured I should give it a go as it had been sat there for so long and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book.

15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. 
So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year the follows?

Each chapter of this book is set on the same day each year, working from 1988 to 2007, this feature actually work really well. Even though there's a year between each chapter all the gaps are filled in nicely so the reader doesn't feel like they've missed anything. Yes it's a little cheesy and unrealistic to have all this stuff happening on the same day every year but I liked it, it got across the movement of time really well so you're always aware of how long Emma and Dexter have known each other and then you can start screaming 'just get together already!' (or is this just me?!)

I really warmed to both characters instantly, although they have they're faults they're very likeable and I was willing them to get together from the start. As I didn't know anything about the book I was a little shocked at what did happen once Dexter and Emma did finally got together (I won't reveal anymore incase you haven't read it either!) my naivety allowed me to think they would get their happy ever after so I was actually close to tears near the end.

For me One Day was a very surprising book, I can't find fault with the characters or the writing. It was a difficult book to put down.

Rating: ★★★★★

1 comment:

  1. I've just reviewed this book on my blog, it's now one of my favourites, I actually cried a little bit, so so good

    Please come check out my latest post if you have time :)

    Fragile Bird | www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!