Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Book Review: Have a Little Faith

Hi!
Have a Little Faith has been squirrelled away in my book collection for quite some time, I've just never wanted to read it to be honest. One because it's by the same writer of my favourite ever book Tuesdays with Morrie and secondly because it's predominantly about religion and as an atheist I just couldn't really get on board with it. In some ways I'm glad I bit the bullet and read it but in some ways I wish I hadn't.

This is a book about a remarkable eight-year journey into what it means to live with hope in your heart.

It begins with an unusual request: Mitch Albom is asked by his ailing 82-year-old former mentor to deliver his eulogy upon his death. Feeling unworthy, Mitch insists on getting to understand the man better. And at the same time, he is getting to know a local pastor - a man with a deeply tragic past who preaches to the poor and homeless in a decaying church, but who remains full of hope and happiness.

Just like Tuesdays with Morrie, Have a Little Faith is a non-fiction book which although dealing with death has a positive and uplifting outlook. Unfortunately though I found this book to be too much like Tuesdays with Morrie for my liking. Old, dying mentor. Check. Feelings of needing to learn more about that person before it's too late. Check. Mitch Albom wishing he'd not lost contact with his mentor. Check. Life lessons for Mitch to learn. Check. I could go on!

For me it felt kind of like Mitch Albom had latched onto a good thing with Tuesday with Morrie and basically decided to do the whole thing again just with religion. This annoyed me because I have so much love for Tuesdays with Morrie and I feel that everyone could learn something from it but replicating it has cheapened it slightly for me.

Given I'm atheist I probably found the books messages a little harder to get on board with because I don't believe in any of it, know obviously I knew what it was going to be about before I read it and I do quite like the idea of the two different faiths in the book having kind and positive things in common it's just that I don't believe in the religious teachings.

Basically Have a Little Faith is the religious mans Tuesdays with Morrie. It's not to say others won't enjoy it but I disliked that it so closely replicated another book.

Rating:  ★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!