Friday, 25 April 2014

Book Review: A Monster Calls

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Connor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Connor.

It wants the truth. 

A Monster Calls is a book I've heard quite a lot about in the past few months which put it at the top of my to buy list until my mum said she had it and I could borrow it. I read this book fairly quickly for quite a few reasons, one it's bloody amazing and two I read the illustrated version so quite a few pages are taken up with pictures. Personally though I really enjoyed the illustrated version the dark, haunting sketches really added to the book.

The topic of the book is such a big one and one that effects almost everyone's lives, unfortunately, in someway...cancer. Connor's story is one that is incredibly touching as he goes on a journey of accepting that his mother is dying and the thoughts and feelings he has about this.

The monster tells Connor three stories all of which end in ways that Connor doesn't agree with, the monster tells Connor after the third story Connor must tell him a story, the truth of his nightmare. The truth Connor reveals is heartbreaking and this book easily had me in tears on more than one occasion.
Even though Connor's tale is very sad, it's the monster that makes this book for me. It's such an unusual character and one that's been very well written.

 I often dislike endings to book and I'm very hard to please with endings but the end of A Monster Calls was one of the most touching, poignant ones I've read, yet so brilliantly done. I strongly recommend this book to everyone, it's not like anything I've read before and you won't be disappointed.

Rating:  ★★★★

P.S I'm seriously thinking of deleting GFC in a couple of weeks so could you please follow my blog through bloglovin here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!