Sunday, 31 August 2014

FILMS: What We Watched #1

Our usual weekend routine usually consists of watching a couple of films. There's nothing we like more on a Friday and Saturday evening then getting in our pj's, grabbing some snacks and a drink (or maybe just a hot chocolate!) and watching a film. We have quite a Blu Ray collection these days but the same thing happens every weekend in that we can never decide what to watch. 

We thought we'd start sharing with you what films we watch each month and our thoughts on each film.

A Million Ways to Die in the West 
 2014 | 116 min | Comedy
J: A funny film that shows Seth Macfarlane can act as well as just being able to do voices! The cast is good and it's got that real Family Guy kind of humour (ie the Back to the Future and Django Unchained references!) Meh, It's nothing groundbreaking but it's still a fun movie that I would buy and watch again.

L: Not the funniest film I've ever watched but an easy to watch film that provided a few smiles here and there. Seth's much better at Family Guy and American Dad rather than this sort of thing though.

Armageddon
1998 | 150 min | Science Fiction
J: A good, solid watch. Who doesn't love a bit of space based action?! An asteroid is going to destroy earth and only a select few people (usually American) can save the day? Got to love that kind of thing. And this film plays right into the public's love. Great soundtrack too.

L: Armageddon is probably up there with one of my favourite films. Solid performances from all the actors teamed with an interesting story line make this a really good film. It always makes me cry too.

Frozen 
 2013 | 102 min | Animation / Fantasy / Comedy
J: I'd heard so much about this film and people were singing the songs and raving about it, so I was looking forwards to finally sitting down and watching it. Well...what a load of overrated rubbish, I was clock watching after half an hour! The snowman was alright and the guy in the supply cabin shop thing provided a few chuckles, but overall...do I want to build a snowman? No.

L: I'm afraid Frozen has received waaay too much hype. The children I worked with before the summer holidays adored this film and I'd heard a lot of good things about it. Sadly there's nothing all that special about it and there are better Disney films out there. Don't get me wrong I did really enjoy it and the songs are very catchy but I don't get why it's so over hyped.

Independence Day
1996 | 145 min | Science Fiction
J: One of my favourite films. Not sure why I like it so much, but I've seen it loads and I've never got bored with it. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are great in it, and the aliens are weird and...well...alien! Must remember to thank America for saving the world (again). I'm really looking forwards to the long overdue sequel that's in the early stages of preproduction!

L: Josh has watched this film loads and I've kind of turned off from it each time, I've never really given it a fair chance so when he suggested it again this month I thought it was about time I give it a go and do you know what? It's actually a pretty decent film!

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
2005 | 140 min | Science Fiction / Action / Adventure
J: You can't beat Star Wars! It's my favourite series of films ever, and this is one of the best! It bridges the gaps between the original trilogy (episodes IV, V and VI) and the prequel trilogy (episodes I, II and III). Alright the acting isn't great but who cares?! I love it! And the big showdown between Obi Wan and Anakin - master and apprentice - is one of the most fast and intense sword fights in cinematic history! I also want a blue lightsaber.

L: I'm afraid to say Star Wars really isn't my thing, Josh loves it but again I've never really given it that time of day until now. They'll never be my favourite films but the prequel trilogy films aren't actually that bad! Despite some questionable acting from a certain Mr Skywalker, Revenge of the Sith did hold my attention and I did quite enjoy it.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strike Back
1980 | 124 min | Science Fiction / Action / Adventure
J: Considered by many to be the best of the original trilogy (if not the entire saga), I'm not sure about that...I'm partial to a bit of Return of the Jedi, but this film is still awesome. There's so much going on and everyone loves the big, devastating and now cliched reveal at the end. (Spoiler alert: Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father. *Shock!*)

L: Josh clearly thought he'd force another Star Wars film upon me after I'd decided Revenge of the Sith was an OK film but I just cannot get on board with the original trilogy. My dislike of Harrison Ford plays a part in this but they just look really naff as well!

 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 
2012 | 182 min extended edition | Fantasy / Adventure 
J: It's just a good fun adventure movie. Lord of the Rings lite, if you will. Martin Freeman's great as Bilbo and the Riddles in the Dark scene with Gollum is one of the best in the movie! Though remembering the names of all the dwarves is a little difficult. I think I've got it down now though. From left to right on the picture above there is...Thorin, Gloin, Oin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Bifur, Kili, Fili, Dori, Nori, Ori and Bombur. Woo!

L: As a big fan of Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit doesn't disappoint. Although much slower and less action packed it doesn't fail to keep you interested. An Unexpected Journey is really just a long introduction the the main characters and lays the foundations for the rest of the story but it still flows along nicely so you're not left clock watching! Martin Freeman is the perfect Bilbo too.



The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 
2013 | 161 min | Fantasy / Adventure
J: The second film in The Hobbit trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug is much more of an action packed ride. Whereas An Unexpected Journey was a little slow to get started, you're right in the action from the start. The last third of the film in where Bilbo and the Dwarves confront the gigantic Smaug in Erebor is great cinema, and it leaves it on a really intense cliffhanger for the next movie (The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies is due out in December!)

L: A little more action packed, but still not quite on the same level as the Lord of the Rings, The Desolation of Smaug introduces a lot more characters and places than the first film. Obviously the main focus is still of the company of Thorin but there's other side stories going on as well such as the elves and the people of Lake-town. It ends on a real cliffhanger ready for the third and final movie.

If you only watch one of these films it should be...
J: It's hard to choose, but...The Empire Strikes Back
L: Both Hobbit films, I can't choose between them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!