Friday, 19 September 2014

Making a space your own

Last summer I went from three years of having my own studio flat with Josh to living back at home. Although my bedroom is probably not too far off the size of our old flat I miss having a place of our own. I think when you spend a lot of time in one place it is important to make that space your own. For me I spend most of my time, when I'm not at work, in my room so it's important that it's somewhere I can relax and somewhere that reflects me. If like me you're still living at home I know how hard it can be but the same goes if you're going to be moving somewhere new for university. As I've mentioned Josh and I shared a studio flat but I know for many people their main space at university will be their bedroom too.

I suppose this post is going to be a bit of a mash up between a room tour and some advice!


1. The most important thing is to make your room fit your tastes. Simple little things like cushion and a few decorations following a certain them. This is especially important if your in bland and boring student accommodation. You really don't have to spend much to make a room look nice, Asda, Wilko's and even Primark all do some lovely reasonably priced pieces.

2. Use photo's to brighten up your room (and bring back happy memories). I have photo's all over my room. Josh and I do take a lot of photo's so it's a big part of me anyway. All my photo's are of Josh and I or my family. I have a big display of photo's from my 21st and photo's stuck to my wardrobe of Josh and I that have all been taken in those artist photo booths you find at the seaside.


3. Use what you already own to make pretty displays. If you've got things like pretty perfume bottles or candles, don't hide them away display them. They can make a really nice, colourful feature.

4. Snap up some prints, much the same as photo's a few bright simple prints here and there can look really nice. You can find lots of really nice, unique, well priced ones on Etsy so it's definitely worth a look.

5. Keep it tidy (really should take my own advice here!) I am the worlds worst person for having an untidy room but I do always feel much better when things are put away properly and I can actually walk around my room. If you spend a lot of time in one room you really need a calm, relaxed environment and a floordrobe really doesn't create that!


















If you have any advice to add to this, please comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!