Monday, 29 December 2014

Favourite Books of 2014

 This year I took part in the Goodreads reading challenge again. I set myself the target of reading 20 books, I managed 19 so I didn't do too bad. I need to better manage my time when it comes to settling down with a book. I love nothing better than reading before bed but I often find myself wasting time scrolling through social media instead. I may set the challenge of 20 books again for 2015. This year I tackled re-reading the Harry Potter. I only have the final book left to go and I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get them all read.

  1.  One Day - I didn't really know anything about this book when I picked it up as I'd never watched the film either. I raced through this on holiday and loved every page of it. It was such a beautiful, simple book that left me a little teary eyed in places. With not knowing anything about the plot the twist at the end certainly came as a shock to me.




 2. How I Live Now - I'd never heard of this book until I was sent it in a book swap at the start of the year. I doubt I would have ever picked this up myself but I'm so glad I read it. It's a young adult novel but it's perfect for adults too who I think would read it a little differently to a teenager too. Meg Rosoff's other novels look pretty interesting too.
  
 3. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Josh bought me this after seeing it reviewed on tv, he promised me I'd really enjoy the twist. I didn't give much away in my actual review of this book and I won't here either. But what happened I completely did not see coming. The big twist happens around a quarter of the way in and I really didn't know what to make of it. It didn't feel like it has peaked too soon though and the rest of the story kept me interested.
4. A Monster Calls - I'd seen so many reviews of this book and just knew I had to check out out for myself. It's an amazing book that I would recommend to anyone. It's so cleverly done and the dark images accompany the story perfectly so if you can pick up a copy of the illustrated version you definitely should. Another book that left me in tears.






1 comment:

Thanks for your lovely comments!