Tuesday, 3 February 2015

FILMS: What We Watched #6

Our weekend routine usually consists of watching a couple of films. There's nothing we like more on a Friday and Saturday evening then getting in our pj's, grabbing some snacks and a drink (or maybe just a hot chocolate!) and watching a film. We have quite a Blu Ray collection these days but the same thing happens every weekend in that we can never decide what to watch. 
We thought we'd share with you what films we watch each month and our thoughts on each film.
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2011 | 105 min | Science Fiction
J: I never saw this film when it first came out and I'm not too sure why. It has fighting and it's quite a sci-fi kind of premise, so it's rigth up my alley. Anyway, someone offered to lend us a copy and it's a great film! Andy Serkis's motion capture is amazingly ape like, and I'm not going to lie...I want a little baby Caesar of my own!

L: I never thought this film would be my sort of thing until the second one was released and I heard people talking about how good the Planet of the Apes films are. So I gave it a go and do you know what, it's such a good film! It even has me holding in the tears in one part. It shines a light  on the effects of testing medicine on animals but also why sometimes it has to be done. Aside from that though it's a really good sci-fi kinda film with a cute baby Caesar to boot!
 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2014 | 131 min | Science Fiction
J: We went to see the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes at the cinema owing to the fact that the first one was so good. It's a post-apocalyptic world so the apes have run of most of the joint until some humans come along and throw a metaphorical spanner in the works. The animation is even more spot on, as is the character evolution, and before long you find yourself rooting for the apes and not the humans! 

L: Much darker and grittier than the first film, Dawn is set around 10 years after the first film and apes have pretty much become the dominant race due to many humans dying from Simian Flu. Due to faults on both sides, humans and apes clash once again leaving any hopes for peace behind. The film was left wide open for a third installment so I'm not at all surprised to hear that one is set to be released in 2017.
 Monsters University
2013 | 104 min | Animation / Comedy
J: Another Disney/Pixar film! Wahaaaay! I didn't have too high hopes for this to be honest, as Monsters Inc is one of my least favourite of the Disney/Pixar movies, but the story is really good and there's some great characters in there and some genuinely funny comedy moments. I was chuckling away to myself quite a lot and it made me appreciate the original a lot more!
L: We love a good Disney/Pixar movie over here so this time we went with a lesser watched one, Monsters University. It's pretty cracking film and although it's been a long time since a watched Monsters Inc, I'm thinking this is the better of the two films. It's great to see how Mike and Sully started out and the instrumental version of Gospel by Marchfourth is one of the jolliest tunes ever so it's amazing that it's featured throughout the film.
 Anchorman 2
2013 | 143 min | Comedy
J: Now, Ron Burgundy is a legend. There is no disputing that. The moustache, the hair...the moustache again. And the original Anchorman was an amazing film, so naturally I was hoping for the same amazing quality worth this sequel. And while it's still a brilliant film it's also an infinitely more random one. In a good way. I think. Now here's the catch...we watched the special edition version thinking it would be the normal one but with a few extra scenes in and stuff. No, it's basically a whole other movie made up of alternate takes, different dialogue, a slightly different plot...still brilliant, but...yeah, confusing! Oh but the Big World/The Gay Way musical medley is great!
L: Where do I even begin with this?! We popped on the 'dirctor's cut' (though not officially named so) version of this thinking there'd be an extra joke here and there, an extended scene or two maybe. When it had finished we looked at each other with faces that said "what have we just watched?!" this version of Anchorman 2 follows the same story mostly but every joke and line is pretty much different to the original with a few scenes panning out differently. You need to be a die hard fan of Will Ferrell's odd humour to go with this version. The musical medley though is pretty great and left me wondering why has an Anchorman the musical not been made yet?
 The Book Thief
2013 | 125 min | Drama
J: I assumed this would be a boring chick flick as it was a girly looking book to begin with, and because of these assumptions my ears may or may not have turned off when Lauren was telling me about it. Anyway I half-grudgingly sat down to watch it and do you know what? It's a pretty good film. Geoffrey Rush is really good in it (despite the fact I couldn't help thinking 'Barbossa' all the way through it) and Sophie Nelisse did a nice job as the young 'book thief'. Lauren liked the book better. But what does she know?! 

L: I read the book years ago and loved it so I was very pleased to receive the Book Thief film for Christmas. Don't get me wrong it's a really good film and the performances by all the characters are spot on. I cannot fault a single one of them but I'm afraid it's nowhere near as good as the book. There's a lot things different on screen than on paper and it's just not as hard hitting. It seems to skirt around the war and the Holocaust which the book doesn't do. Give it a watch but read the book first!
 The Full Monty
1997 | 91 min | Comedy / Drama
J: A classic 'local' film set in Sheffield! Some guys are out of work and turn to stripping to make some money. What an odd premise but what a brilliant film. Every one of the actors is great, the helpless situations they are in are relatable (til they start stripping) and all in all it's such a Northern film. This is up there with Brassed Off as a great Northern film. And to top it all off, the soundtrack is spot on. Everyone loves that scene in the Job Centre queue when Hot Stuff by Donna Summers comes on..!
L: A proper Northern film! We live quite close to Sheffield so we have to appreciate this film! It is a good 'un though. Six unemployed men stripping isn't my usual viewing but it's so lighthearted and funny I can't not enjoy this. Everyone plays a really good part too bringing something different to the mix of guys. Plus the Job Centre/Hot Stuff scene has to be one of the best movie scenes in existence. 
The Theory of Everything
2015 | 123 min | Biographical / Drama
J: This film was hyped up a lot, and after watching it I reckon it deserves every award is has or will get. Eddie Redmayne is brilliant as Professor Stephen Hawking, as is Felicity Jones as his first love Jane Wild. The story tells of Stevens time in university and about him developing and working on the theories that made him world famous. It also shows his own personal battles with the debilitating Motor-neurone Syndrome. But at the heart of it, the films is a very personal one, focusing on his relationship with Jane. Top film!
L: I'm not sure I can even write this review without crying. The Theory of Everything is one of the best films I've watched in a long time. Moving, beautiful and real. I'm sure the romanticism has been giving the Hollywood treatment but we'll skirt over that. No review I write can do this film justice, Eddie Redmayne is just amazing as Professor Stephen Hawking and the whole film really struck a chord with me. I knew I'd cry but I was effected for a good hour after the film. It emotionally really got to me and OK I cry at pretty much everything but for it to still be on my mind, then to me that's the mark of a bloody excellent film!

If you only watch one of these films it should be...
 J: The Theory of Everything
L: Without a doubt The Theory of Everything


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!