Tuesday, 10 March 2015

FILMS: What We Watched #7

Our weekend routine usually consists of watching a couple of films. There's nothing we like more on a Friday and Saturday evening then getting in our pj's, grabbing some snacks and a drink (or maybe just a hot chocolate!) and watching a film. We have quite a Blu Ray collection these days but the same thing happens every weekend in that we can never decide what to watch. 
We thought we'd share with you what films we watch each month and our thoughts on each film.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
 2010 | 146 min | Fantasy
J: While this movie is slower and drags more than its followup, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows part 1 sets up part 2 really well. It puts in a lot of the groundwork that gets its payoff in the final instalment. That being said, there are some pretty great bits in the movie: Voldemort putting his pieces in place, Hermione being generally hot and sexy, and Dobby with his heroic rescue and untimely death leave it on a sombre cliffhanger. On its own, a little lacklustre, teamed up with part 2, totally worth it.

L: I'm never going to have anything bad to say about the Harry Potter films but the final two have to by my favourites! Part 1 more or less spends time setting the scene for part 2, that doesn't mean to say it drags though. Being the longer of the two parts it still manages to keep you gripped and interested whilst building the foundations of what's to come. Also Dobby dying gets me every time.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
 2011 | 130 min | Fantasy
 J: Now here’s where all of the buildup pays off. Where part 1 was the “lights, camera...”, part 2 is the “ACTION!” The Battle of Hogwarts is as grand and epic as everyone imagined it to be when reading the book, the showdown between Harry and Voldemort is intense and exciting, and the big revelation that Snape was looking out for Harry all along because he’s always loved Harry’s mother always leaves my shorter half in floods of tears. Oh, but Voldemort’s super creepy/awkward hug and ‘special person’ laugh are unintentionally hilarious.

L: If I had to choose then I would say this one is my favourite of the two parts and probably right up there with one of my favourite films of all time. I could watch this film over and over again and still be in awe of it. Everything is just so perfect with it, right down to the music (the music during the protecting Hogwarts and the courtyard apocalypse scenes send shivers down my spine) .

Brave
2012 | 93 min | Animation / Fantasy
J: I usually can’t fault Disney/Pixar movies, but this one didn’t click with me. It wasn’t a bad film as such, it just didn’t seem to have that spark that most other Pixar movies do. If I didn’t know better I’d have guessed it was a Dreamworks production. Again, not saying it’s a bad movie or Dreamworks puts out rubbish, but...you know what I’m saying. Still, it provided a good few laughs and Billy Connelly was made to be in a movie like this!

L: You all know by now we love a good Disney film over here, so I'm not sure why it took us so long to get around to watching Brave. I'm afraid to say we won't be in a huge rush to rewatch it though. It was good just not as good as a lot of other Disney films. I feel that every Disney film we've seen transcends the ages, they appeal to everyone but Brave somehow felt it was aimed solely at a younger audience I'm seemed to lack the depth that other Disney films have. If your a Disney fan then give it a watch but we won't be adding it to our collection.

If you only watch one of these films it should be...
J: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2
L: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

1 comment:

  1. I love all these films =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!