Friday, 26 June 2015

Having your sh*t together

In just over 4 weeks time I'll be 24, I am very quickly approaching my mid 20's and I am therefore plagued by the daily thoughts and worries of not having my shit together. A quarter-life crisis if you like. Thoughts such as 'I'm skint', 'I really should get a better paid job', 'I still live at home', 'I desperately want my own place', 'I haven't even learnt to drive yet'. On top of that you see everyone else around you and they seemingly do have their lives together, people I went to school with are now married, having kids, getting a mortgage or you read blogs/browse instagram and are bombarded with images of beautiful holiday's people are on, stunning interior design in someone's new home etc.

Just the other day though it occurred to me that I've never really thought about what it really means to ME to have MY LIFE together. We constantly judge our own lives by other peoples standards and what they've achieved when in reality they're probably having the same thoughts and feelings as you. 

I couldn't agree with the statement above more, in my 20's I don't want to be worrying about everything. OK so there's a long list of things I haven't achieved yet, getting my own place been number one on that list, but the time will come when those things will happen. In the meantime I've realised that this year is shaping up to be one of the best ever, I'm happy, secure and creating amazing memories and what more could I ask for really? For me right now my life isn't completely together, no, but are a lot of things are heading in the right direction and the things that aren't? Well I'm learning to be OK with that and remembering that things work out in the end. So your life doesn't match other people's lives, but who cares really?! As long as your happy then I'd say your life is coming along just fine.

So hey, it's OK to not have your shit together because guess what? No one really has!

4 comments:

  1. Such a great post and it definitely found me at the right time! I haven't even reached my 20s yet but I still feel like I should be doing more with my life. It's so troubling sometimes because it can have an impact on my motivation. We should always remember that other people are probably thinking the exact same thing.

    Hope you're having a wonderful day!

    -Nabeela xo
    http://nabsticle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment. It can be really hard to imagine anyone else feeling the same at times but it really is worth keeping in mind that everything works out in the end!

      xx

      Delete
  2. Love this post, Lauren. I'm also 23 (24 in January) and I constantly have all of these thoughts, but at the same time I feel like the wave of people nearing their mid twenties right now are completely different to the thirty-somethings. We want a lot more independence and freedom and don't feel the need to conform to what was expected of us. Of course many of us want the stable job, husband, kids and nice house, but it's quite an exciting change for our generation to have our own happiness as our main goal.

    I saw this quote the other day...
    "At 23, JK Rowling was broke. Tina Fey was working at the Y.M.C.A. Oprah had just gotten fired from her first job as a TV reporter and Walt Disney had declared bankruptcy." - Read This If You’re 23 And Lost by Heidi Priebe

    We've still got time... :)

    Erin | Being Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment! I love the quote, we definitely do still have time. I completely agree, our own happiness as a main goal is pretty exciting.

      xx

      Delete

Thanks for your lovely comments!