Tuesday, 9 June 2015

FILMS: What We Watched #11

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
1975 | 100 min | Musical / Comedy / Horror
J: So this is one of those films that my shorter half has been pestering me to watch for years and years. No exaggeration! So I decided that we'd give it a go...and I was totally unphased by it. It's meant to be this huge cult classic that Lauren's been hyping up for what seems like ever, and it was just a dated, not particularly good film. I've seen it, I can tick it off my list, but I won't be watching that again. 

L: This is one of my favourite films and I've been trying to persuade Josh to watch it for years even though I knew he just wouldn't appreciate how amazing it is! I mean come on this film was made in 1975, it covers a whole load of taboo subjects for the time and no film has done since what Rocky Horror managed to do. Tim Curry is absolutely brilliant as Dr Frank N. Furter, a transvestite scientist and for me the elevator scene (watch here) when he first appears has to be one of my favourite movie scenes ever. It's weird, fun, camp and kitsch and completely amazing!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
2006 | 96 min | Horror / Slasher
J: I really enjoyed the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I thought it was well done and every bit as scary and suspenseful as the original. The acting was much better in the new one too! Therefore I enjoyed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning just as much. It fleshed out a lot of the backstories of characters and gave them more depth to the point where you can kind of sympathise with some of them. Kind of. To a degree. 

L: Not the worst horror movie I've seen but not the best either. I quite like the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then the 2003 remake. This is a prequel to the remake and to be honest it just falls a little flat on all fronts. The acting could be better, the plot could be better and it's just not that scary. It's a little predictable and lacks any real imagination.
The Cat From Outer Space
1978 | 104 min | Science Fiction
J: Yeah...The Cat From Outer Space. How did this happen?! We were looking for some classic to watch and we ended up watching this. It's totally dated and odd and, but it was surprisingly funny and entertaining. An alien cat that can talk via its collar and fixes basketball games and snooker matches to win money to get home?! Sounds like a winner to me! Also Lauren was totally impressed with how well behaved the cat was, though she did at one point ask how it learned it's lines... 

L: I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this on Now TV. A film that's entire plot centres on a cat from space, I knew I was instantly going to love it! To be honest it's actually not a bad film, Jake the cat is super cute and the film centres around him crash landing on Earth and trying to return to his home planet - a place where by using special collars cats have telekinetic and telepathic abilities (I know you're sold already!). I'm sure I'm not ruining anything by saying this but in the end Jake decides to remain on Earth after escaping criminals and the military. Crazy cat people need to watch this film!

















Scary Movie 3
2003 | 85 min | Comedy / Parody 
J: Okay so this was just a something-to-watch movie. Its not good, it's not bad, it just is what it is: a fascicle parody of scary kinds of movies. There's a fair few chuckles to be had at the ridiculous childish humour, but there's nothing hilarious or edgy enough there to make it worth a repeat watch. 

L: I know Scary Movie films aren't meant to be groundbreaking works of cinema but I was left a little disappointed with this. It's the first in the franchise that wasn't worked on by the Wayans brothers and I think you can really tell. The Wayans family do naff films well (I mean that as a compliment) and this was definitely missing something. It parodies The Ring, Signs, The Matrix and Green Mile. While I did laugh here and there I feel it could have been funnier.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1977 | 135 min | Science Fiction
J: I like a good space film, anything to do with aliens or anything like that is a winner, so Close Encounters of the Third Kind is right up my street. While it's kind of dated (a running theme of a lot of this months films now I think about it), it's still a great film with some wonderfully mystical elements to it. You can see why Spielberg went on to make ET. So for the pure fact it carved the way for the magically awesome ET to be made, it's a pretty high ranking film for me! 

L: We've decided to try watching more 'classic' films so this was the next one to tick off the list. Now sci-fi isn't my favourite genre at all but I like to keep an open mind and bearing in mind this is viewed as a classic film I have to say I was often left confused by this film. There was more than one occasion when I didn't really know what was going on. There's so much happening and yes I know it's sci-fi but it was weird and far-fetched. I really don't know how I feel about this film, I can't say either way whether I like or dislike it because I was just left confused!


If you only watch one of these films it should be...
J: Close Encounters of the Third Kind
L: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!