Thursday, 2 July 2015

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I don't quite know how I feel about this book, I've wanted to read it for a long time and some parts I did enjoy, if that's is the right word for such a story, but for the most part it annoyed me.

Hazel attends a support group for young cancer patients where she meets Augustus and falls in love with him. As Hazel and Augustus battle their illnesses, their love story unfolds. Running along side the narrative of Hazel and Augustus, is that of their friend, Isaac, who is also a member of the cancer support group who eventually losses his sight and the story of the author, Peter Van Houten, who Hazel is desperate to meet and get answers from about her favourite novel.

Lets start with what I probably found the most annoying, the character of Hazel. She is hands down on of the most pretentious characters I've ever come across and I found it very hard to find her believable, surely no 16 year old talks like she does? I got so annoyed by the way she talked that at one point that I handed the book to Josh to see what he made of it, his response was far less elegant than mine and definitely contained the phrase 'wtf'. To be honest I struggled with most of the characters, Peter Van Houten was another one I found to be pretty unrealistic.

Next up I didn't think the writing was all that great, it just wasn't a well written book in my opinion and although the ending did make me cry, on the whole I wasn't that moved by the rest of the book. That isn't me being cold hearted because the slightest thing makes me cry but the lack of likeable, believable characters and strong writing just made it a struggle.

On the whole this wasn't the worst book I've ever read but it certainly wasn't great. I'd say if you really want to give this book a try go for it, you might like it but I personally think there are much better books out there to spend your time reading.

Rating: ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!