Thursday, 14 January 2016

Beating the January Blues

I don't know about anyone else but January is probably my least favourite month. My favourite time of the year is over, I'm back at work after the Christmas break and suddenly the dark mornings and evenings and the cold weather aren't as appealing when there's no glow of the Christmas tree lights or that touch of magic in the air. In all I feel like I'm on a massive come down after the festive period and I get a serious case of the January blues.
  1. Run a hot bath (preferably with lots of bubbles or a Lush bath bomb) - I love nothing more than getting in a hot bath on a night and catching up on YouTube videos. There's usually some Lush concoction going on too to make the water pretty colours and the bathroom smell amazing.
  2. Read a book and get lost for a while - what better way of escaping your world than getting lost in someone else's in the form of a good book.
  3. Go for a walk and clear your mind - there's no better way to blow out the cobwebs then having a refreshing walk, sitting in all the time isn't going to make you feel better.
  4. Binge watch TV series - as much as you should get out too, there's absolutely nothing wrong with indulging in a TV series marathon too. We're currently rewatching Boardwalk Empire.
  5. Wrap up in your fluffiest pj's or onesie - pure comfort, for me there's nothing better than getting home from work and getting straight in my pj's. The bigger and fluffier the better.
  6. Don't be too hard on your self - I hate all that new year, new me crap that flies around every January. You don't need to put pressure on yourself to be different. If you want to go to the gym or for a run, great. If you want to sit in your pants eating chocolate then that's completely fine too!
  7. Colour in - Josh bought me an adult colouring book for my birthday last year and my mum bought me a Harry Potter colouring book for Christmas and let me tell you something they're sooo relaxing.
  8. Fairy lights and candles everywhere - they add the perfect homely glow and make you feel all warm even if it's dark and raining outside
  9. Focus on the positives - I don't know about anyone else but January just seems to bring all the negative doubts flooding out especially as I'm a natural pessimist anyway, 'what am I doing with my life', 'I don't have anything good planned this year', 'I hate getting up at 6am everyday and going to work in the dark' - you get the idea. So try flipping around, focus on the good stuff and push out the bad thoughts even the smallest of happy things can brighten your day.
  10. Put on your favourite songs and have a good sing and dance - yeah I don't do this at all... who am I kidding I love a good sing and groove about, when no one is around of course! There's nothing a few happy songs can't fix in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!