Thursday, 7 January 2016

Book Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

At the point of reading this I was struggling to enjoy reading, I couldn't really focus on books and found my head swimming with other things whilst I tried to focus on the story. I was after something I could get completely lost in, that would refocus my mind and something easy. Enter The Tales of Beedle the Bard. 

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so the fact that this beautiful book has sat on my shelf, unread for years baffles me. But it has. I honestly couldn't have picked a better book to read, it was exactly what I needed. I got completely lost in the wonderful short stories contained in this book and the additional notes by Albus Dumbledore were the perfect touch. It contained the same magic and charm as the Harry Potter novels but with a slightly older feel, I know that sounds strange but you can imagine the Harry Potter characters hearing these stories as children and them been passed down from generation to generation in the wizarding world. 

There are five stories in total in the book, including the Tale of the Three Brothers from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. If I really had to pick I'd say the three brothers story was my favourite but they are all really good.

 Rating: ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!