Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Book Review: Invisible Monsters Remix

She's a catwalk model who has everything: a boyfriend, a career, a loyal best friend. But a sudden motor 'accident' leaves her an 'invisible monster', so hideous that no one will acknowledge she exists. Enter Brandy Alexander, Queen Supreme, who will teach her that reinventing yourself sometimes means erasing your past and making up something better...

Injected with new material and special design elements, Invisible Monsters Remix is a radically refashioned 'director's cut' of a favourite Chuck Palahniuk novel, turning a daring satire on beauty and the fashion industry into an even more wildly unique reading experience.

Where do I start with this?! To be honest it's probably going to be a kind of brief review as I don't want to give anything away at all. I'd never read a Chuck Palahniuk book before this one and to be honest I'm not sure what made me go for the remix version, I suppose I wanted to read the book as he'd intended it to be read. You have to read the chapters in the order you're instructed to which means a lot of jumping around the book and catching glimpses of words and phrases you've yet to read which makes it pretty exciting. 

As for the actual story, I loved it. It's full of twists and turns and important points that are sprung on you with no real build up (I found this to be a good thing in the case of this novel). You'll find yourself checking if you've missed something in all the jumping about. It's delightfully dark, humorous and a wild ride of a book. 

After I'd finished, I read a review that recommended not to read the remix version if you'd never read a Palahniuk novel before because the craziness would put you off. I completely disagree, I say go for it and embrace the weirdness. The story itself is weird and wonderful so it seems only fitting that the act of reading it should be that way too. It's so unlike anything I've read before that it ignited my passion for reading again, something which has been lost over the past few months and made me desperate to read more Palahniuk novels.

  Rating: ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!