Saturday, 29 October 2016

RECIPE: Witches Cupcakes
























I haven't baked in such a long time and there hasn't been a recipe post on my blog for years which is pretty shocking considering how much I used to love blogging recipes. I'm hoping to add a lot more stuff on here now we have our own place so expect to see a mixture of savoury recipes and baking.

So onto today's recipes, I decided I wanted to whip up a batch of something Halloween inspired so opted for these witches cupcakes, I will confess there are a couple of cheats in this recipe but we're not all perfect! Also now I've made these I think it would have been better to use gel food colouring to make the sponge more vibrant but that's something I will keep it mind next time I use food colouring.

What you will need:
200g butter
200g sugar
3 eggs
200g self raising flour
Vanilla essence 
Blue, red and green food colouring (I used liquid but I would use gel next time)

Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar then add the eggs, sift in the flour and fold in then add a drop of vanilla essence. Take 4 bowls and divide the cake mixture between the bowls evenly and add the food colouring, I used blue, red and green then I mixed up purple in the fourth bowl. 

Next line your baking tray with paper cases and start to layer up the mixture in the cases. It's important you don't mix them in, just layer them by adding a spoon of one colour followed by a spoon of another colour. I wanted all my cupcakes to be different so some of the cupcakes just had 2 colours whilsts others had three and four colours in them. Pop them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
























So here comes the cheat bit, for the frosting I bought Asda's ready made vanilla frosting. I cannot makes decent frosting to save my life so I cheated a little and bought it ready made. The witches hats I ordered from eBay and they're made from edible wafer paper. They didn't come pre-cut but that wasn't a problem. 

So there's my Halloween recipe. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out though I would have liked the colours to be a little brighter but they taste yummy so I guess that's all that matters!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!