Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Book Review: We Were Liars


A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

The blurb for this novel doesn't seem to give too much away but I love a book with a twist and this sounded just like it would have a great twist which is why I picked to read it. 

We Were Liars focuses around the Sinclair family, a rich and privileged family who holiday together each year on their private island. Away from their beautiful exterior though lies a family being torn apart by greed, envy, lust, hate and in the heart of it all is the patriarch of the family, Harris Sinclair who seems to be the source of all the trouble and enjoys adding fuel to the fire. 

The novel follows Cadence as here cousins through the years as they meet up each Summer until Cadence has an accident that she can't remember. Two years pass by before she returns to the island and is once again reunited with her cousins but she's plagued with migraines as a result of her accident which impacts on the time she can spend with them. Being back on the island and around her cousins seems to trigger more memories for her until finally she can piece together what happened during the summer of her accident and reveals what is really happening. 

I absolutely loved this book, it's actually a young adult novel but I'd definitely say it's for the older end of that category. I couldn't put it down and from the start I knew something wasn't quite right but I didn't guess the twist at all, which by the way left me feeling a variety of emotions, the sign of a great piece of writing surely? I've actually seen quite a few negative reviews of this book despite its critical acclaim and although I can see where some of the reviewers are coming from, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It's a fairly short book given that it slots into the YA category so I'd definitely recommend giving it a read.


Rating: ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments!